[fab] Re: openmotif

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Aug 31 07:50:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:18:36PM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 10:49 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>
> > Actually, I think I can fix these things by Tuesday. Stay tuned.
>
> 8. cernlib, cmucl, geomview, gpsd, grace, Inventor, nedit, and xlockmore
> (all maintainers CC'd) need to change their BR from openmotif-devel to
> lesstif-devel. I tested all of these apps and they work correctly
> against lesstif.

One thing to be warned against is that some lesstif and openmotif versions
may provide the same soname although they are not binary compatible. I may
be wrong, but I think that this issue could break some upgrade. Indeed
imagine that there is an application in a previous fedora linked against
libXm.so.2. This may lead to 2 issues when fedora is updated:

1) if lesstif replace openmotif as it provides libXm.so.2, since it is
binary incompatible things will break. In that scenario the new fedora
packages will be fine, only the packages that are not updated by a version
built against lesstif will break. I don't see anything we can do to avoid
that.

2) Since lesstif don't obsolete openmotif, things may also break the
other way around, lesstif isn't installed since nothing requires it, and
the new fedora packages are installed and break since they have been built
against lesstif. To overcome this issue, it is possible to have packages
newly built against lesstif to have a

Requires: lesstif

The attempted lesstif install will conflict with the installed openmotif
but I think it is better that breaking apps without noticing.

I suggest that we add this requires to the packages we build against lesstif
to break in the case of the issue 2). And also document that issue.

--
Pat