[fab] Re: Licensing audit for Fedora Extras

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:19:02 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Tom 'spot' Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 06:20 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> > > I'd like to try and get an Aurora release out first. Is there any reason
> > > this can't wait until December?
> >
> > ... and December arrived. Can we do this now?
>
> January? :)
>
> I hate to keep bumping this out, but the audit (even with help) will
> take up ALL of my free time, and I really want to get Aurora 3 done (it
> is taking up all of my free time, except for some Zelda while things are
> building).

Ok then I would say the first thing that needs to be done is a
document that goes over how a license audit is done. Nothing fancy,
but a list of

A) Download src package
B) Look at spec file
C) Look at sourcecode and make sure license is listed in it.
D) Look for any dubious licensed code (say file A says its under MIT
and file B says its under Apache and file C says its MyLicense 1.5).
Use the following egrep expressions to help in doing this:
E) Write up a summary of package viewpoints, and send to XYZ for confirmation.
F) Upon getting confirmation, and if you have more questions send to
joe_foo at fsf.org
G) Profit.