[fab] Re: Licensing audit for Fedora Extras

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 5 20:18:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 13:36 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> Its more of a process of:
>
> A) Download SRPM
> B) rpm -ivh foo.src.rpm
> C) rpmbuild -bp path/to/foo.spec
> D) Note License in foo.spec
> E) Manually look through all source code in BUILD/foo
> F) Note actual licensing where it differs from License
> G) Ensure that license(s) is/are FSF or OSI approved

For all packages that i) Fedora is the upstream[1] and ii) provide
content in /usr/share/doc, we need to ensure that:

a. The content is licensed under the OPL only, and
b. The OPL is used without restrictions

I just found a package that is an example of this; it needs to have the
restriction clauses on the OPL removed (I'll file the bug.)

[1] Example of where Fedora is upstream is system-config-*; what else?
Is that an easy thing to figure out?

- Karsten