Fedora release lifecyle

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Dec 13 16:56:49 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram schrieb:
> The current proposal
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit/ReleaseProcess) of changing
> the Fedora lifecycle to support release N until N+2 is releases or
> approximately 13+ months is pretty good but I am wondering if we can go
> a bit further.  My suggestion would be look at a differentiated life
> cyle between Fedora server and desktop variants in the upcoming release
> or have a policy as follows
>
> First six months - Feature additions, bug and security fixes six months
> Next six months - Only bug and security fixes
> Next six months - Only critical security fixes*

My vote:

For all releases with even number:
First six months - Feature additions, bug and security fixes
next six months - Only bug and security fixes
next twelve months -  Only critical security fixes
EOL

For all releases with uneven number:
First six months - Feature additions, bug and security fixes
next seven months - Only bug and security fixes
EOL

Such a theme would be helpful for users from hosting companies that run
FC on their machines.

Other variants (support only each third release for longer periods;
support the releases with uneven numbers only for 7 month in general,
... ) are thinkable, too.

CU
thl