mailing-list reorganisation

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Dec 13 18:56:05 UTC 2006

Hi All,

we discussed the "to many mailinglists" problem now and then in the
past. Most of us are annoyed by it, so here is a proposed cleanup. Comments?

== Remove ==

=== fedora-packaging-list ===

Packaging is important to all package maintainers. Everyone should get
involved in the discussions and at least see the topics being discussed,
thus do it directly on fedora-maintainers. Use a special tag like
"[packaging]" to mark them if needed.

=== fedora-buildsys-list ===

It's quite a quiet list -- maybe we should leave it open for now until
the plague/brew and VCS stuff is worked out, and then simply continue on
fedora-devel.

=== fedora-extras-list ===

We should get rid of it when core merges with extras. Discuss the stuff
on fedora-devel in the future.

=== fedora-test-list ===

A lot of people don't get the difference between fedora-devel and
fedora-test list. And testing is a crucial part of the devel process,
thus lets drop the test-list.

== New ==

=== fedora-project-list ==

We until now have no real list where Ambassadors, packagers,
programmers, art-people and other contributors can talk to each other
about general stuff that's important to the project as a whole without
getting lost in the noise or scared away with "this is off topic on this
list" calls. fedora-advisory-board somehow is this list, but it's
moderated and thus even some project contributors that are not
subscribed feel excluded (bad).

/!\ Note: I'm not sure is this really is a good idea, but I more and
more think we need a list where we can discuss the project as a whole
especially with people that are not yet contributors

== Not sure ==

There are some list where I'm not sure if they are still useful:
fedora-desktop-list, fedora-games-list.

= EOF=

Just my 2 cent.

Did I miss anything? Do people want greater changes? Less changes? or is
everyone happy with the current situation?

CU
thl