Re: Fedora Board meeting Tuesday 12/12

On 12/11/06, Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> wrote:
Mike McGrath (mmcgrath fedoraproject org) said:
> I had the same issue with my subversion proof of concept a few months
> back.  Is it safe or dangerous to assume that lack of interest means
> that people just don't care as long as it works?

Generally, with things like SCMs or build systems, no one is going
to switch until it's "live" and they have to - they worry about getting
their stuff packaged and can manage to migrate when they have to.
I recall when we initally did the CVS migration internally - we
went from a few feeble 'hm, works for me, I suppose' to 'OMG WHAT DID
YOU DO' as soon as we made it live.

I remember that being the case with pretty much every developer push.
Updating porkchop, changes to build tools, etc etc. In herding cats,
you only get a reaction after you have changed the litter or food.
Before then it doesnt work, UNLESS its a shiny, wobbly ball that gets
their attention and they want to chase it. Getting people to change to
a new SCM is not shiney and wobbly enough.. its more like them finding
out that the cat litter has gone from dry to crystals.