Re: Fedora release lifecyle

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wednesday 13 December 2006 14:58, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Gack. Is this really what we're trying to accomplish? This all
goes back to what is Fedora. It is not all things to all people - I
truly feel if you want multiple years of maintenance, you should be
looking at things like RHEL (or other prominent enterprise linux
distributions.)

+1. 13 months I think is a great middle ground. Anything longer and you're really talking about a different product and really hampering the ability to get new things into new releases.

I am sure there is a lot of room between 13 months and 7 years. If you see the plan about only critical security fixes, thats about 20 updates an year or just about *10 updates* for 6 months. Again see https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-security-list/2006-October/msg00006.html. For a desktop variant an year worth of updates might be good enough but does anyone really think we should have a server variant the same way instead of putting out a dozen more updates and extending the life cycle?

Rahul