Fedora release lifecyle

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 13 21:30:36 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 14:58, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Gack. Is this really what we're trying to accomplish? This all
>> goes back to what is Fedora. It is not all things to all people - I
>> truly feel if you want multiple years of maintenance, you should be
>> looking at things like RHEL (or other prominent enterprise linux
>> distributions.)
>
> +1.  13 months I think is a great middle ground.  Anything longer and you're
> really talking about a different product and really hampering the ability to
> get new things into new releases.

I am sure there is a lot of room between 13 months and 7 years. If you
see the plan about only critical security fixes, thats about 20 updates
an year or just about *10 updates* for 6 months. Again see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-security-list/2006-October/msg00006.html.
   For a desktop variant an year worth of updates might be good enough
but does anyone really think we should have a server variant the same
way instead of putting out a dozen more updates and extending the life
cycle?

Rahul