Fedora release lifecyle

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Dec 13 21:42:42 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 16:30, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> I am sure there is a lot of room between 13 months and 7 years. If you
> see the plan about only critical security fixes, thats about 20 updates
> an year or just about *10 updates* for 6 months. Again see
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-security-list/2006-October/msg00006.
>html. For a desktop variant an year worth of updates might be good enough
> but does anyone really think we should have a server variant the same way
> instead of putting out a dozen more updates and extending the life cycle?

Its difficult to do just critical updates unless you're doing backports, and
then its much more engineering time to make those 10 updates.

Look, lets be honest here.  Fedora isn't all that great of a distro for a
stable server.  We don't do backports, we play with new technology, we've got
a fast paced development cycle, etc...  Lets not try to be something we
aren't.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora