fedora-maintainers-annouce

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Dec 14 15:05:20 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thursday 14 December 2006 00:59, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> No. No. No. I know that Extras has contributors that *only want the
>> results*, not the discussions (seems I have to repeat myself here).
>> There are for Example some upstream maintainers (I'd like to have more
>> of them!) involved as {co-,}maintainers in Extras. They get a lot of
>> mails already and they will get annoyed if we force yet another 50
>> mails/month on them that they are not interested in. So we need a
>> different solution to get the important informations to them (less then
>> 5 mails/month). I still fail to see an alternative to
>> fedora-maintainers-annouce. Jesse, do you have one for those people? Or
>> don't you want upstream maintainers more involved?
>
> I don't feel that it is healthy to grow a community of packagers that don't
> get involved in these discussions.  At times we need to get the
> input/discussion from ALL the packagers/maintainers involved, and we just
> can't do that if we have a bunch that just don't care.

You have the freedom to disagree.  However, FESCo decided that they
would do this for Extras owners.

This is not the first case where one of my ideas for a list was resisted
with "we don't need more lists".  Past examples like
fedora-perl-devel-list have proven to be beneficial.

fedora-maintainers-announce is a narrowly defined list for a specific
rare task.  I strongly believe it be helpful for this narrow purpose,
and it should be given a chance to prove itself.

The list has already been created for weeks now.  Just I haven't had
time to launch it.  FESCo made this decision, and FESCo is going ahead
with it, for the project under FESCo's jurisdiction.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com