5k packages?

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Tue Dec 19 22:25:25 UTC 2006

Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> One thing that needs consideration in the comparison is that debain splits
> things up in to the smallest possible binary package.  We do not do that.
> the fairest comparison is to look at the Sources.
> by my count Fedora (core+extras) has ~3600 SRPMS
> by a count in #suse 3015 src.rpm, 54 nosrc.rpm (not sure what a nosrc.rpm is
> but i guess proprietary stuff)
>
> Debian im still looking to find numbers.

According to this (from cjb):

http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/NOTES

5912 total source packages in unstable
  157 total source packages in unreleased
(includes kfreebsd specific, already removed from sid)

5495 sid source packages in unstable
  112 sid source packages in unreleased
5607 sid source packages of approx. 6800

So we're making a lot of progress, assuming this is correct.

--Chris