F7 Plan (draft)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 19 23:55:04 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:

>> Are all these variants single
>> CD's each?
>
> Very difficult to do with the Desktop CDs, given that openoffice.org +
> translations is larger than a CD itself.  For server, sure it would be nice
> to fit on a single CD.

I think it is feasible to have both the GNOME and KDE variants fit into
single CD's even with openoffice.org. There are even several Fedora
based ones at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DerivedDistributions/

> Somebody could do that.  Given everything else that's on my plate, I'd rather
> not.
>
>> That would
>> be useful for many places whether bandwidth or network access is
>> constrained.
>
> Burn a DVD set of the tree itself, ship it somewhere to "seed" the mirror, go
> from there.

I suspect it is far more easier to having it part of the formal releases
. It is just a dump of all packages. Since we are going to move away
from a rolling release model even for the current Fedora Extras, this
shouldnt require much more additional work.

> Alternative kernels == doom.  Its going to be bad enough if we have to do a
> standalone xen kernel that moves at a different pace than the other kernels.
> kmods blow up.  Userland changes become harder to make.  Security flaws...

We do already have alternative kernels like the one for Xen. Real time
is just going to another one on top.

Rahul