Re: kernels in the packaging universe (was: Re: F7 Plan (draft))

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

Well, I was against kernels in Extras in the past, too, and I agree that
maintaining them would be a large maintenance headache. But I more and
more think we should have a (semi-)official place for alternate
kernel-images (say RT, OpenVZ, OLPC, PS3, Vserver, Xen, Vanilla [would
be cool for debugging bugs to check if they are fedora-specific], mm,
latest-linus,...) in Fedora-land somewhere with a big, fat warning sign:
- Use at your own risk
- no guarantees for security updates
- be aware that these kernels might miss features like Xen, tux, foo or
bar that are in the main kernel package
- no precompiled kmods are available

A tentative +1.

The problem: no caveat is ever clear enough for some people. But I don't think that's a reason to ignore alternative kernels entirely.

--g