Re: F7 Plan (draft)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Tim Burke wrote:

Things like Xen which are a major integration challenge make much more sense in Fedora. There are installer, system startup, networking, yada, yada to sort out. In contrast, realtime is primarily "just a kernel". So the same integration challenges do not exist (knock on wood). There is already an existing upstream community around the -rt patchset. Based on this, we may not want to fragment the audience.

Mind you, I'm not trying to holdback RT from Fedora. I just don't think its mainstreamed enough to fit responsibly. I welcome opinions though.

There is increasing interest in the Fedora community re: offering multiple pre-built kernels -- with lots and lots of caveats. Perhaps the RT kernel is one of these.

--g