kernels in the packaging universe

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 19:06:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Dave Jones wrote:

> > If by "We", you really mean "you", then you'd be correct.  FESCo,
> > currently anyway, still allows kmods in limited cases.
>
> Which was a mistake IMO.

Why?

To the best of my knowledge, the problem you have with kmods/alternate
kernels is that people complain when they break, and they fill bugzilla
with bugs that don't make sense -- because people don't understand that
they're running funky kernels.

Right?  Are there any other reasons not to package these alternate
kernels?

Because that's a valid reason.  But it also gives us something to shoot
for: better reporting tools.

--g