kernels in the packaging universe

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 20:31:21 UTC 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Dave Jones wrote:

> People lie.
>
> It's hard to find words to describe how you feel when you find yourself
> in a situation like..
>
> * "Hey kernel is broken because blah"
>
> * Do you have 3rd party modules loaded ?
>
> * No
>
> * Much investigation happens. Lots of head scratching.
>
> * Weeks later..
>
>  "Oh, the problem doesn't happen if I rmmod foo.ko"
>
> * Fedora kernels don't ship foo.ko. I hate you so much right now.

Which makes this, to some degree, a tools problem.

If one of the fundamental problems with the Fedora kernel is "way too many
shitty bugs filed," then it seems to me that one solution might be to
disallow the filing of kernel bugs without the output of
'kernel-debug-script'.

And what does kernel-debug-script do?  Well, I guess it lists the
exact kernel version and all loaded modules, and maybe it also dumps
the results of lshal, and maybe it does all kinds of other stuff.  We
should be using simple tools to remove the guesswork from the equation
wherever possible.

Maybe that kind of tool should be added to The List of 25.

--g