[fab] Filesystems support in Fedora

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jul 17 23:05:46 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating (jkeating at redhat.com) said:
> There are people out there that use these for more than just migration.  There
> are people that do NOT use selinux, nor wish to, and for them these file
> systems work well enough.
>
> If we don't provide what we're doing now, these people will be looking for
> rebuilds of the distro/installer with support for said file systems.  We
> don't want that, we want to encourage people to play in our sandbox.  We
> could do a popup window (much like we do for rawhide installs) when reiserfs
> or xfs options are detected with a bit "Warning: this file system may eat
> your baby" or even a paren next to the file system option when choosing to
> format (UNSUPPORTED FS!).
>
> We provide _lots_ of ways for our users to shoot themselves in the foot.  This
> is just one of them.

Realistically, to install to it, you *already* need to know what you're
doing. I don't think any additional dialogs are necessary.

Moreover, the framework for contribution is there, although it's not the
cleanest. By following the upstream kernel, we make sure that anyone who
works with upstream for those filesystems gets their stuff merged; beyond
that, it would be a) updating the userspace tools b) getting any needed
patches into anaconda. a) can't be done by any random volunteers, but
b) certainly could be.

Bill