[fab] Succession Planning

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jul 22 12:58:58 UTC 2006

Hi!

Paul W. Frields schrieb:
> As I mentioned briefly in Tuesday's meeting, I placed a short draft of
> an elections document at:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/SuccessionPlanning

One thing I miss: Who is permitted to Vote? Everyone listed in the
Accounts System?

> I'd appreciate any additional review and comment.  (Comments may take
> the form of page edits.)

Just FYI, the first FESCo election finished some weeks ago (*1) and we
(or, to be more precise: Toshio Kuratomi -- he wrote most of the voting
app together with spot and some others) currently work out the details
for future elections. Here are some comments that I send to Toshio in
private some days ago that might be of interest for this discussion, too
(stripped down slightly -- I removed those parts that were relevant for
Extras only):

> - the voting app worked fine afaics
>
> - only a small number of people voted -- next time we should make sure
> that we send a mail directly to all people that are allowed to vote when
> the election starts and one shortly before it ends to those that didn't
> vote yet. The mail of course should contain link to the election
> announcement and the URL to the voting web-interface.
>
> - Should we set a timeframe how long people can be in FESCo? e.g. after
> two years people have to leave for at least one year before they can be
> in FESCo again?  Something similar for the FESCo chair? E.g. a rule that
> the FESCo chair has to step down after one year?
>
> - Timeframe and scheme for next elections. Two scenarios:
>
> -- reelect half of the seats four weeks after each Fedora Core release
> FC(x). Reelect the other half of the seats after FC(x+1). Reelect the
> first half again after FC(x+2)
>
> -- reelect all the seats every two releases of core, e.g. FC(x), FC(c+2)
>
> - how many nominations do we want to require before a election can
> start? Number of seats + x (x=1, 3, 5 or 25% of seats that get voted on)?
>
> - we should lay down what happens if someone from FESCo steps down. Who
> get the seat?
>
> - should we changed the election-system? E.g. "there are 13 seats,
> please vote for 13 persons, the 13 people with the most votes get in" vs
> "please vote for as many members as you like; those 13 with the most
> votes get in" (see also:
> http://blogs.gnome.org/view/jamesh/2006/06/06/0
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-July/msg00180.html
> )

Especially the last two points are important IMHO.

BTW, a thread with discussions around the FESCo-Election can be found at:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-July/msg00133.html

CU
thl

(*1) -- that reminds be of something else: Should all or at least some
of those that were elected into FESCo now be subscribed to be full
members of this list?