[fab] Succession Planning

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 14:17:22 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 08:45 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Rahul wrote:
>
> > on 3) Can we put 75% in numbers? What is the rationale behind having a
> > limit on Red Hat or non Red Hat seats? IMO, if its a elected position,
> > whoever gets elected should be deemed fit to do the job regardless of
> > their affiliation. Is Max Spevack, the Fedora Board lead or he is the
> > Fedora lead within Red Hat. If its the former, should it be a elected
> > position by Fedora contributors (as defined by rule 4)  or within the board?
>
> Personally, I like the idea of splitting the board into two different term
> cycles.  For example:
>
> Term A, elections after release of FC(even)
> Community 1
> Community 2
> Red Hat 1
> Red Hat 2
> Red Hat 3
>
> Term B, elections after release of FC(odd)
> Community 3
> Community 4
> Red Hat 4
> Red Hat 5
>
> Gurantees continuity -- without math.  :)

I'm cool with that.  I just thought of another problem with the 75%
rule, which would be if more than one person enter or leave Red Hat
employment during their terms; it would then be possible to top 75% on
one side or the other.  Yeah, better to take it out.

But the best statement would not be to label the seats by who's in RH
and who's not, but rather to declare which ones *right now* will be up
for election first, and then those "seat numbers" are from then on the
division point.  That way you avoid any murkiness if employment status
changes for people.

I know there's a good way to lay this out in the page; I'll take a crack
at it.