[fab] Succession Planning

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sun Jul 23 16:57:18 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 10:05 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 18:08 +0530, Rahul wrote:

> > 5)Adopting the Fedora Extras voting infrastructure  seems a good
> > solution. Is that a generic app or does it require changes?
>
> That's what I thought we should use too; I wanted to see what people
> here agreed on.  I think it's pretty generic, but I haven't looked at
> the code at all.  (I would probably leave that to someone who understood
> it better, truth be told.)

The election database is pretty generic.  The front-end is a bit more
specific.  Creating a new template for a new election isn't that hard.
It's python but currently doesn't tie into any of the nifty python web
frameworks.  Luke Macken has been working to update the TurboGears stack
for the infrastructure group and I was hoping we'd be able to use that
for enhancing the election app but I'll have to take a look at how
easily it will integrate with our account system.

On a slightly differecnt aspect, I'd like to avoid voter burnout.  Since
FESCo is currently planning on holding elections after every FC-release
as well, perhaps we could try to make a combined ballot that has FESCo
and the Board.  If other fedora subprojects want to vote using the
voting app at the same time (after FC-releases) we could have a ballot
that lists all the issues an account holder is currently allowed to vote
in and pulls up the ballots for each of those for the voter.

I'm currently writing up a "Next FESCo election" email for discussion on
extras-list and should be sending it sometime tonight.  One of the
points relate to whether we want to stay with the bloc voting model
(vote for N seats among M candidates where M > N.)  or change to
something else (ranked voting, approval voting, etc).  Since voting
brings out the armchair analyst in people, I think we'll have a healthy
and lively debate over this :-)

-Toshio