[fab] New project formation is out of control

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 21:57:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> So the question becomes how do we help to get new contributors working
> within established frameworks and not feeling that they have to go off
> and start something on their own?  Because while the suggestions for
> additional control are sensible and reasonable (IMHO), it will still
> occur as long as we don't have good avenues for people to get started.
> Perhaps one route would be to have a defined, easy, low-barrier way for
> people to start something on their own and have it clearly be incubatory
> or a pilot to gauge interest until officially adopted either as a
> top-level project or as a subproject?

Yep.

> Also, note that with the announcement of the "Red Hat Open Testing
> Project to get a name in the future" that there's some desire to see
> under the Fedora umbrella, there is some thought going into what's going
> to be needed for a "new project".  I expect that to not be a short
> process to figure out or get through, though.

>From my viewpoint in Simple-Land, the solution is very Simple:

There are two classes of "project" in Fedora.

Incubator project: any project that has a mailing list, a home on the
wiki, and an IRC channel.  Can be created by anybody following simple
rules with an hour of work.  If one person is willing to follow his or
her own Fedora project, well by gum, it's an incubator project.  We can
institute basic rules to keep them sane:
  + No wiki posts or mailing list posts within six months: gone.
  + Majority vote of the board: gone.

Official project: any project that has all of these things, plus:
  + a clearly articulated goal.
  + a steering committee with a chair.
  + regular meetings of the steering committee to ensure that
    progress is being made towards the goal.

Life in Simple-Land is great.  We eat cheap Chinese food from the same
restaurant every day, and we only wear jeans and t-shirts that we get from
trade shows.

--g