[fab] New project formation is out of control

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 18:15:08 UTC 2006

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> There are two classes of "project" in Fedora.
>
> Incubator project: any project that has a mailing list, a home on the
> wiki, and an IRC channel.  Can be created by anybody following simple
> rules with an hour of work.  If one person is willing to follow his or
> her own Fedora project, well by gum, it's an incubator project.  We can
> institute basic rules to keep them sane:
>   + No wiki posts or mailing list posts within six months: gone.
>   + Majority vote of the board: gone.
>
> Official project: any project that has all of these things, plus:
>   + a clearly articulated goal.
>   + a steering committee with a chair.
>   + regular meetings of the steering committee to ensure that
>     progress is being made towards the goal.
>
> Life in Simple-Land is great.  We eat cheap Chinese food from the same
> restaurant every day, and we only wear jeans and t-shirts that we get from
> trade shows.

Do we have something other than "project" that we can use for a name?
Project is strongly linked to software, but I think that a lot of the
activities that we're encouraging are actually not software but
promoting ideas.  Project to me means mailing list, a home page,
downloads, etc.  Can we brainstorm a bit for something else to call the
collections of enthusiasts that we love?

--Chris