[fab] New project formation is out of control

Elliot Lee sopwith at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 22:28:42 UTC 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 18:11, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> If the process of:
>
> 1. Creating a mailing list;
> 2. Creating a wiki page;
> 3. Creating an IRC channel and getting ChanServ on it;
> 4. Adding a one-paragraph description of "the new project", with
> links to
> the aforementioned wiki/mailing list/IRC channel;
> 5. Potentially creating a CVS repo...
>
> ...represents *actual overhead*, then I'd say that we've got other
> problems.  Which we may well have, actually -- but if so, *those*
> are the
> problems we need to solve.

It does wind up being real overhead currently. (Getting a mailing
list created typically takes a week, for example. And it's just a lot
to wade through when you're thinking big lofty thoughts instead of
administrativia.)

At the same time, I do think there should be a (very low) bar to
getting a project publicized and promoted as being connected with
Fedora... Just enough to make sure people are aware of the work it
will take to make their project successful.

> I think the *real* fear is that we'll end up with a bunch of abandoned
> projects.  This is fair, but personally, I don't see it as a bad
> thing, so
> long as there's a good way for potential contributors to tell the
> difference between "lively" and "dead" projects.  We can also
> figure out
> how to reap dead projects so often.

It's like making movies - you can never tell which ones are going to
flop or fly, so you just have to go through all the flops to get the
fliers. The main thing of importance is having movie reviewers who
will help people find the good stuff. :)

Best,
-- Elliot