[fab] Re: [Famsco-list] New project formation is out of control

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 12:38:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 06:51 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> The another thing is that here DamienDurand is not alone with his
> Interview Idea. He has followed a "certain procedure". He pinged me a
> month ago about his idea and we have been working on this along with
> ThomasCanniot as well. In that procedure, we call for "peer review" to
> Patrick on irc before the announcement on the ML.

IRC is not the place for peer review.  It is the place for gathering
consensus before you submit an idea to public scrutiny via the mailing
list, where real peer review can be done.  With IRC you are relying on
the "say-so" of whoever happens to be there at the time, whereas the
mailing list has much more non-realtime visibility.

> DamienDurand proposed interview to BobJensen and MaxSpevack and they
> both agreed to answer our questions. I think that this project has a
> momentum to start became a big one.

No one is saying that having interviews is a bad idea, but keep in mind
Red Hat Magazine currently runs these kind of interviews and Fedora
community people are encouraged to participate there.  It's worth
pointing out (with no ill will intended -- the effort was very laudable
IMHO) the one interview article that I've seen so far is poorly written
and not up to what I would consider general standards of publication,
nor those I expect from under the "Fedora" umbrella.  Peer review and
editorial input would have helped alleviate that problem.

RHM is a vehicle for that input as well as offering a "feedback input"
from the readership.  RHM periodically allows readers to respond with
data on how much they benefited from an article, whereas this "new"
interview initiative does not seem to have any such mechanism.

> > Patrick, want to take a stab at a short and snappy set of rules?
> > Famsco can then vote.
>
> I consider Peer review needs to be a must and as well we have to make
> the difference between a SIG and an official project.

Agreed, that's what this discussion is about.