[fab] New project formation is out of control

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Jun 10 16:24:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 18:28 -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:

> It does wind up being real overhead currently. (Getting a mailing
> list created typically takes a week, for example. And it's just a lot
> to wade through when you're thinking big lofty thoughts instead of
> administrativia.)

If anyone is wondering about the value a content and collaboration
platform brings us, this is definitely the area.  It greatly reduces the
overhead and increases participation.

For example, this is the exchange I had with Steve Milner (ashcrow);
this took place over the course of three minutes on IRC, and the work
involved for me was less than one minute:

<ashcrow> quaid: is there one for python?
<quaid> ashcrow: not yet :)
<quaid> but easy to make as soon as someone wants it
<ashcrow> if we can get one that would be great. I have some py code
that I might move in to it
* quaid makes one
<ashcrow> sweet
<quaid> ashcrow: done
<quaid> https://python.108.redhat.com
<ashcrow> awesome!!!!
<quaid> made you a project owner, too, so feel free to customize

Now, I've been involved in other new project creation with Fedora, and
so I know intimately what it would take to get the same set of resources
for a new project.  As Sopwith says, it is about a week to complete,
involves several steps with completely different tools or groups, and
requires much more brain thinking than, "Just a minute ... ok, it's
done."

What we've done to help the process is to make a simple workflow for
project requests.  Fill out a short form and it gets into a queue, we
review and make the project.  I can review and create a project within a
minute.  Ashcrow and everyone he adds to the project now have an SVN
repository, as many mailing lists and forums as they wish that can be
created in a minute, document management, an editable space at a fixed
URL, etc.

This is why I think it is imperative that we work in parallel.  One side
we create processes to control project creation within our current
framework.  On the other side, we work as fast as we can to bring up a
new content and collaboration space into being.  The
procedures/governance from the first inform the build-out of the second.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project