[fab] Build and include NTFS module

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 26 21:35:38 UTC 2006

Hi

I would like to hear a decision on this being made by our counsel. We
have included Mono in Fedora on the basis of OIN
(http://openinventionnetwork.com/). OIN covers the Linux kernel as one
of its many components protected by it. Would this be enough for Fedora
to include and build the NTFS module in the kernel package?

Unlike our standing on say mp3 patents, the alleged NTFS related ones
are not well recognized and none of the other distributions have
refrained from using NTFS. I have had atleast one offlist request to
list
the relevant patents in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems so
that the community can keep a tab on that and request for inclusion when
it expires (assuming we decide to continue not including it now)

The ability of Fedora to read NTFS partitions would pave way for
automatically migrating data (mails, browser settings etc) even during
installation and make the process much more easier for new users.
Interoperability has various other well known advantages. I would like
to see this happen. If no, why not?

Rahul