[fab] 108

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jun 27 17:14:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 18:12 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> I forgot to ask in the meeting - I wanted to follow up a point Rahul
> made on the mailing list about 108.

Sorry, busy with 108 and haven't been in this folder for a week+
obviously. :)

> Is 108 considered a rh thing or a fedora thing? Also the code for 108 is
> that available somewhere or is it a closed-source-ish 'service' that red
> hat is providing or what?

It is a Red Hat thing, with most of it running as a hosted application.
We are hacking stuff that sits on top of it, and our bits are or will be
open source.

> It's a confusing point as to how 108 fits into the fedora world view.

RHEL is to Fedora as 108 is to open source content and communities.

Think of the 108 work like bootstrapping a distro from an existing
distro.  For example, the OLPC version of Fedora - a carefully chosen
set of applications for a specific purpose.  108 is trying to pull
together voices from Red Hat, FLOSS communities, partners, and
customers.  In most cases, these voices (blogs, mailing list posts,
social networking metadata, etc.) already exist.  Our focus has been
therefore on tools that enable editors (active contributors of content)
to easily identify content that is useful for 108.  For example:

http://del.icio.us/108
http://del.icio.us/quaid/108

Another purpose that 108 provides is near instant project and
collaboration space for Red Hat partners, customers, employees, and
FLOSS communities.  For example, the new AMQP project is being
collaborated on through 108:

http://www.redhat.com/solutions/specifications/amqp/

They just haven't opened up amqp.108 for business yet.

Clear as mud yet?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project