[fab] Project Hosting

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon May 8 16:20:41 UTC 2006

On Mon, 8 May 2006, seth vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 10:44 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it's also the wrong conversation to have at this point.  Need to
> > figure out 1. what you want to host and 2. what the social structures
> > might look like around that.  Those two items will drive your choice of
> > SCM and hosting technology.  i.e. Want something with centralized
> > development and avoid forks?  Use SVN/CVS.  Want something that allows
> > for local forks and encourages local (non-central) hacks?  Use GIT/hg.
>
> I think what we're looking for is something that allows:
>
> 1. easy creation of new projects for people with fedora-related ideas
> 2. easy adding/handling of users and groups so the fedora-admin list
> doesn't need to be involved if someone wants to give access to another
> fedora contributor
> 3. probably something that allows a bit of divergence and eases merging
> back - one of the reasons I'm interested in git/hg.
>
> -sv

So I've been seeing ad-hoc discussions around this topic for months now,
and it seems like we're no farther along than we were when we started.

How do we get these things to coalesce into a plan of action?  To be more
specific:

Who is reponsible for generating the short list of "problems we want to
solve with our vague new infrastructure"?

Because if someone doesn't take ownership of this, step #1, then we will
never get to step #2.

--g