[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Mon May 8 21:02:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 03:44:47PM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 03:53:20PM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > 1. If it's okay for RH to put nonstandard kernels into Fedora, then
> > shouldn't it be okay for the community to put nonstandard kernels into
> > Fedora?  If not, why not?
>

> I could see adding one "bitbucket" kernel though, with several
> prototype features.  The purpose behind the bitbucket would be to give
> exposure to features which need more baking before hitting mainline
> (but with the stated plan that if they were rejected permanently from
> mainline, they get dropped).  Ideally it would be exactly the -mm
> kernel, to reduce the maintenance burden.  Someone(s) (not DaveJ)
> would have to agree to maintain it though.

Ideally, sure.  But have you seen akpm's emails about -mm recently?
Things like "it seems to compile" as the description for a -mm release
don't particularly inspire one to run out and offer to support pushing
this to the Fedora masses.

I like the idea, I really do.  It would theoretically improve the upstream
kernel too.  But it's a metric crap-ton of work just to get the thing
building and working on a single platform.  Is there anyone crazy enough to
try and support this?  Handling the bug reports alone could be a full time
job.

josh