[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed May 10 02:47:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Will Woods wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 10:58 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
>> I think Jeremy's fear about misattribution of bugs is a valid one.
>>
>> I have a dream, though.
>>
>> I have a dream of a desktop bugzilla client in Fedora.  When you find a
>> bug, you fire up the prominently-placed client.  The client presents you
>> with package names, and you select which package the bug was in.  The
>> client will be smart enough to reconcile any questions about "which repo
>> this package came from".
>>
>> Is this a crazy dream?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But it'd certainly require a
>> visionary QA person to make it happen.  Right, Will?
>
> Yes! I have this same dream! I really REALLY want to see tighter
> integration between Fedora and our bug reporting/tracking stuff. I want:
>
> 1) A nice client (maybe built from bug-buddy) for people to quickly and
> easily report bugs *without a bugzilla account*. This client would
> gather pertinent system info (Fedora or Alternatives package? Weirdo
> kernel?) and include it in the bug report.
>
> 2) Attached to bugzilla: a central, scoreboard-style web page with
> up-to-the-minute info on hot issues, bug tracking, release notes, etc.
> Basically, a site that will help answer the question: "WTF just
> happened?". And I want links to this in our Firefox package, on the
> desktop, etc.
>
> Even better, I want these two things to be tied together:
>
> I want the bug client to pull info about current hot issues, the most
> frequently-reported bugs, etc. and present a list to the user. It will
> ask: "Are any of these your bug?" If the user finds their bug in that
> list, they click yes. We increment a 'vote' counter for that bug.
>
> Goodbye duplicate bug reports! Hello semi-automatic bug triage!
>
> Does this sound useful? Are Greg and I just crazy? Can we make this
> stuff happen?

I'm late to this thread and the kernel thread too, and I echo a lot of
what everyone else said in both of those.

In terms of making this QA stuff happen -- we definitely can, Will.  Up to
you and I to figure out this and your other goals/priorities once you're
full time on Fedora.

It occurs to me that if nothing else, it might be worth adding this idea
to the Summer of Code possibilities, and seeing if we generate any
interest.  It would be a pretty fun project to code on -- touches on GUI,
web programming, and requires someone with the ability to think about the
problem at a high level before diving into the actual coding.

--Max

--
Max Spevack
+ http://people.redhat.com/mspevack/