[fab] global growth, balance

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun May 28 03:10:56 UTC 2006

From the recent board minutes:

"How do we get more representation from India, South America, Middle
East? Fedora had an excellent presence at the recent Brazilian show.
Chris Blizzard was there. Why not think about a FUDCon in that area? In
comparison, we don't have a community in India at the same level yet.
Why not? Matthew challenges us to improve in these areas."

Interesting observation, I had a different impression but wasn't in
either location.  How was FUDCon Delhi?  I've heard that many FLOSS
folks in India are into different projects than just distros (GNOME, for
example), and there are many Debian/Ubuntu users.  Is Fedora still a
whisper there?

I'm sure the folks in Brazil have considered a FUDCon, definitely a good
idea.

What I'm curious about is:

* How do we measure participation in a country/culture?

* How much responsibility do we have to intentionally enter new areas v.
letting the interest grow from within that area itself?

* How do we identify what are areas of the world to focus on?

* What are we doing to prepare for e.g. more bugzilla reports in
Simplified Chinese than English?

Mighty, might stuff.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/