[fab] Re: Firefox splash page tracker

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Oct 6 13:35:26 UTC 2006

Mike McGrath wrote:
> On 10/4/06, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
>>
>> > I hope you are understanding it correctly because that is how I
>> > understand it. I think this is the best idea I have heard so far.
>>
>> There is a subset of users -- we don't know how large -- who will never
>> use yum because either (a) they won't have the bandwidth to use it, or
>> (b)
>> they won't even understand that they need to use it.
>>
>> I still think that the Firefox technique will give us a better
>> cross-section of data.
>>
>> Let me think about it.  I need to send a note to the docs folks anyway --
>> part apology, part analysis.  I'll cc: this group as well.
>>

> Just pointing out that about half of the machines I install FC on
> don't have X installed, much less firefox.

That's a good reason to put a tool in that does register new servers.
Well, maybe register is the wrong word.  That implies a lot of things to
me.  But certainly "get counted."  Which is different than "track."

I guess it's good to talk about the metrics we're interested in.  That
will drive how we build something:

1. Tracking unique desktop users.  Also, how long do they use it for?
On the weekends?  On weekdays?  Do they stop after a number of days of
use?  One day never to return?  These are very useful statistics in
realizing what kind of job we're doing.

2. Tracking server installs and how long they stay installed.  Not quite
the same as the desktop stuff because they are used differently.  But
knowing how long they live on the interweb is interesting.  Once again,
counting, not tracking.

--Chris