[fab] Metrics: What we *could* get

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Oct 6 17:06:33 UTC 2006

There's another interesting aspect of having something on the machine
that allows someone to be counted.  It follows the software all the way
from where we put it up, through the mirrors and down to the
installation.  It's much more reliable about reporting something in that
sense, rather than collecting stats from mirrors and download sites.

It also reports the act - "I'm using it" instead of "I downloaded it."

And last, in some ways it's a lot less nefarious than tracking
downloads.  It's a result of a positive act on part of the user, as
opposed to tracking on the backend without any kind of positive assent
from the user.

--Chris