[fab] Fedora Project and Hosting

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 14:47:45 UTC 2006

Mike McGrath wrote:
> So people have been asking more and more for general VCS space,
> sometimes SVN, GIT, CVS.  My question for the board:  Is the Fedora
> Project a place to host this stuff or should we just point them to
> freshmeat and sourceforge?  Here's an example thats comes up:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/tickets/index.pl?Action=AgentTicketZoom&TicketID=102
>

> and another
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/tickets/customer.pl?Action=CustomerTicketZoom&TicketID=94

We (infrastructure team) have rejected this latter case because the
justification is weak and given our limited time and manpower resources
we cannot handle such requests for the time being.

In the long run however, we do need some easy way for Fedora
contributors to build and host projects.  Such a system must be
automated in allowing users to create hosted projects using a self-serve
interface.

Ubuntu's Launchpad is very powerful in its ability for anybody to create
a hosted project with repositories and other services.  Even if the
majority of sub-projects go nowhere, the flexibility and convenience
does tend to allow projects to grow with close affiliations with the
larger project.

I personally witnessed the community enabling power of Launchpad while
at the LTSP hackfest during September.  During the course of the event,
the Canonical engineer convinced LTSP upstream that they can better
track their upstream source by maintaining it in bazaar repositories
hosted by Launchpad.  In one afternoon, they were able to create the
project and checkin repositories, without any bureaucratic hassles or
delays.

The only real bad thing about Launchpad is that it itself is not FOSS.
If Fedora creates an infrastructure to self-create projects and
repositories like Launchpad, we would need to make it 100% FOSS.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com