[fab] kernel modules

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 19:58:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>
>> Max Spevack schrieb:
>
>>> The prevailing sentiment is that the engineers most directly impacted by
>>> the decision are not in favor of kernel modules, and I think we need to
>>> trust the technical expertise of the people who will be doing the work.
>>
>> ...disallowing kmods completely in Extras looks a bit unfair
>> from my point of view: Fedora Extras and especially I invested a lot of
>> work to support kmods in Extras.
>
> I, for one, am 100% *for* allowing kmods.  Users absolutely want them,
> contributors want them (as highlighted by the efforts of many folks including
> Thorsten).  And as pointed out by tibbs, if we (Fedora/Extras) aren't the
> avenue for folks getting what they want, they'll just turn elsewhere.

Here is my frustration:

>From a *philosophical* point of view, I am in favor of kernel modules.

>From a *technical* point of view, I hear people tell me a lot of valid
reasons why it's a bad idea.  I also hear a lot of people say why it's a
good idea.

People on *both sides* of that argument are very smart.

So... if there's smart people on both sides, and compelling arguments on
both sides, then I feel like the people who will actually have to do the
work should be the ones who tip the scales, since they are the most
directly impacted.

But, decisions with shades of grey like this are what the Board is meant
to handle.  And so we shall.  Our phone call is in an hour.

--Max

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack