[fab] kernel modules

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 20:33:18 UTC 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Just for the record, I think that having kernel modules outside of the kernel
> package is fine.  In fact, I think that as a mechanism for people to access
> software that's too bleeding edge for the mainline kernel, or to use hardware
> they wouldn't normally be able to use, it's great.
>
> Yes, I understand that it might not be the best option (*pound fist*
> everything must be upstream! *pound fist*) but in the interest of enabling
> users and giving people more places to participate, it's great.

Ok, then I pose this:

Is there anyone on the 9 person Fedora Board (Rex, Seth, Chris, Jeremy,
Bill, Elliot, Rahul, Matt, Paul) who is *against* allowing the kernel
modules?

If not, the as a Board we need to be willing to defend the decision, and
also to work with the folks who are going to be opposed to that decision
to help make it more palatable for them.

That's probably going to fall mostly on guys like Jeremy and Bill.

Just so we have everything out there on the table.

--Max

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack