[fab] kernel modules

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Sep 20 20:52:34 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 16:18, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Then why are squashfs or xen carried in the Fedora kernel[1]?  Oh,
> that's right.  Because someone takes time to make them compile on a
> daily basis.  Exactly the thing you're ranting against.
>
> josh
>
> [1] Yes, I know xen has a motivation for upstream.  Squashfs is rumored
> to as well.  That doesn't change the fact that neither are upstream and
> your "if it isn't ready for upstream.." comment just pissed me off.
> Feel free to ignore this rant now that you've theoretically read it.

These are the 'not yet upstream' things that would be worth shipping, and
there are enough people willing to work with the kernel developers IN the
kernel source to maintain the patches and modules.  I've said before, it it's
not ready for upstream, but ready enough for our userbase, they should be
packaged with the kernel srpm to avoid the nightmare that is kmod packages.
We need to work on ways to make more things acceptable to be packaged in the
kernel srpm rather than further propagate the evils of kmod packages.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora