cross-site bug tracking

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 18:43:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> Some good comments and questions from the desktop-arch list.  Worth
> thinking about as Fedora is one of the few places that has to bridge
> between itself and a huge number of upstream projects and at the same
> time have a commitment to free software for our infrastructure as well
> as what we distribute.
>
> Thoughts?  (For the record, before it's mentioned, re-implement
> Launchpad as free software is not a solution, I suspect.  We can do
> something with the rest of the free software community that everyone
> could adopt if we try and solve it the right way.)
>
> --Chris

You all know my thoughts on this -- but to recap:

1. Get engaged with the xmlrpc work that's going on in upstream bugzilla.
Make sure it's good.  That takes care of the transport layer.

2. Work to get OpenID support into upstream bugzilla.  That takes care of
the authentication layer.

3. Work on the web UI to implement the "send this bug to another instance
of bugzilla".  That takes care of the interface layer.

That's the winning strategy, I think.  The question is, who has the time
to implement, or to oversee implementation?

FWIW, I think it's pretty strategic, and a lot of these pieces are already
happening, so it's probably a matter of someone doing a strong design
exercise -- but my hands are full elsewhere.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager