RFC: Release team meetings

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 19:42:12 UTC 2007

On Friday 13 April 2007 15:27:27 Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> I don't think there needs to be a lot of governance, just some
> information on who's doing what.  Jesse, Thorsten, releng team, what do
> you think of this proposal:

A page already exists...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering

and there is some draft work going on:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/RelEng

Information from those could get shared around or merged or vice
versa.  -ETIME (:

rel-eng at fedoraproject.org

> == Who's in Charge ==
> Jesse Keating.  Leadership is currently appointed by FESCo with input
> from the current release team.
>
> == Things we Do ==
>  * Set the schedule for releases including freeze dates, final release,
> slips, etc.
>  * Set blocker criteria for the release.
>  * Decide what packages go onto a spin.
>  * Create official Fedora Spins.
>  * Report progress towards release from Feature Freeze on.
>  * Give reports to FESCo on changes to processes.
>   * If something is known to be controversial, we let FESCo know before
> implementing otherwise implementation generally happens concurrently to
> reporting.
>  * [Fill in anything related to release management you want]
>
> == Where we do it ==
>  * IRC: [Select an IRC Channel]
>  * Mailing List: releng at fedoraproject.org
>  * Meetings: Not currently.  We just discuss things on [IRC channel]
> when we think of something. [If Bill's meeting plan comes to fruition,
> add a link and general information here]
>
> ------
>
> Action Items:
> * Have releng fill in all the bracketed items.
> * Have releng team +1 this :-)
> * Have FESCo +1 this
> * Change releng at fedoraproject.org from an alias to a mailing list so
> there's an archive of past discussions to look at.

These seem mostly good, but more of a release team and less of a release
engineer team.  I guess I see it as this, a Release Team makes a lot of these
types of decisions in the broad scope before and during a release, while the
release engineering team are the people who actually _do_ something, such as
tagging a build, approving a freeze override, set up freeze tags, etc... More
of the doers, and thus a smaller group, while the release team is more ad hoc
depending on the release features and such.  Man I'm having a hard time
writing this out...

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora