Release Engineering Meeting Recap from Monday 16-APR-07

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Apr 23 04:49:20 UTC 2007

On 23.04.2007 05:56, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 08:07:54AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>  > I would prefer a rebuild

Even with deltarpms it's IMHO to much risk and overhead (slower dist
updates due to more packages needing updates; reassembling the rpms also
takes time) for a small gain.

>  > but if we are not going to rebuild all the
>  > packages with dist tags in future releases just dropping the number in
>  > "fcX" and instead using "fc" in all packages might just be better.

$ rpmdev-vercmp  0 1.0 5.fc 0 1.0 5.fc6
0:1.0-5.fc6 is newer

IOW: Changing it to be just "fc" does not work. Changing it to ".1" or
something else that is higher then "fc<number of latest release>" would
work.

> The entire purpose of the dist tag is to discriminate between
> two otherwise same version packages across two releases.
> Changing it to 'fc' serves no purpose at all.

Changing it to something like ".1" can get us rid of the confusion of
disttag "fc6" in "Fedora 7"; see the thread starting at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-April/msg00395.html

But yes, it's a kind of (dirty?) trick.

> [...]

@jwb (and brian, too): You mentioned that FESCo wants to look at this
after F7 -- can you make sure it's somewhere on the schedule so it's not
forgotten (and hopefully discussed early in the devel cycle)?

CU
thl