Fedora Board Recap 2007-JUL-31

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 3 23:09:32 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> I'm still interested in taking it further and trying to find a way to
> give everyone who is working with our tools and our content to raise
> their hand and say they stand among a group of peer projects as part
> of a larger effort.  We can't have these project advertise fedora as a
> mark, but I'll be damned if we can't find a way to have Fedora and all
> these projects advertise..community.

Right. With generic logos package we can solve one of the requirements
for derivatives which is to distinguish themselves as a different brand
and effort from Fedora so that they can add packages outside the
distribution for whatever reasons and redistribute it to other folks.

One of the other mutually beneficial requirements is to help a
derivative declare themselves as based on Fedora. Not Fedora. Just based
on it. This would come under fair use regardless of the rights and
restrictions on the trademark guidelines but we can benefit from making
it easier for derivatives to do this.

Maybe another logos package and exposing that as a easy to use
functionality in live cd tools, pungi, revisor, wevisor etc to replace
fedora-logos with either generic logos or derivative logos package or
custom feed the images dynamically without even building a rpm package.

Rahul