Fwd: Re: [Fedora-packaging] Licensing guidelines suggestions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 7 14:27:34 UTC 2007

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> And to answer my own question, I think the answer is no.
>
> Why?
> 1. OSI doesn't list licenses which don't meet their criteria, the FSF
> does.

On the other hand they haven't yet listed all the known Free software
licenses like you did but they have previously been open to that. You
might want to followup on that.

> 2. The FSF has been extremely helpful in working with us on licensing
> matters. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on licensing
> conflicts.

Agreed but then relying on FSF would mean that you are effectively
dropping the OSI requirement which is what I suggested earlier. Relying
on our own list is more safe if FSF acts up or FSF agrees on a license
that Red Hat Legal doesn't want to deal with ever.

Rahul