Smolt + GeoIP

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 01:50:17 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

One guy brought up an interesting idea in #smolt:
(03.34.00) ( Romster) be cool for smolt to have a map like gnome does
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWorldWide

I'm thinking a simple way to do this is to save the GeoIP for each IP
that sends in information to the server iff (that's if and only if)
the client passes a bit saying 'i allow'.

Another way is when the user goes to the smolt page, after submitting,
they have the option of filling in this information.

I'm not crazy to do this, but it does sound interesting nonetheless.
Does this seem like something that we could even consider reasonable?
Or could this be a nightmare and a half?

Cheers,
Yaakov