info for non-redhat folks

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Fri Dec 21 18:18:49 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 1:11 PM, John Babich <jmbabich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Two references:
>
> Here's an official statement from Matthew Szulik in Red Hat News:
> http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/12/20/a-message-from-matthew/
>
> Here's an interesting article entitled "Can an airline exec run Red
> Hat? You'd be surprised", by Larry Dignan:
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7437

Heh. I'm amused at this little bit of misinformation:
"Red Hat's EVP of Worldwide Sales is a relative of Mr. Szulik, for example. "

In fact, the other Szulik is not a relative. It is odd that the only
two Szuliks I've ever met work for each other and yet are not related,
but there you are...

Slightly more on-topic:
"In my first meeting with Jim Whitehurst, we discussed the four Linux
distributions that he was running on his home personal network. He was
running Fedora Core 6 and Fedora Core 7 at home. He was running
Slackware at home and he was an experienced software developer up
until the time that he was at BCG (Boston Consulting Group). "

This bodes well, I think- the only complaint I had with Matthew during
my brief stint at the hat was that he sometimes seemed not to quite
Get the engineers. Anyone who runs Slack at home will at least get the
engineers, even if he does ignore them from time to time :)

Luis