info for non-redhat folks

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 19:46:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2007 12:08 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Before I came to Red Hat, I was a die-hard Slackware user.
>
> And we have really really tried not to hold it against you.

This brings to mind a story of an interview I had for a summer job when
I was in college.  At the time, I had only used Slackware.

One of the questions I got was "How would you install a new package on a
Red Hat system?"

My answer: "I would use RPM."

Question: "Sure, but what *exactly* would you type?"

Answer: "I'd have to look at the man page.  The Linux system that I use
doesn't use RPM."

Question: "Then you're not running Linux.  Linux uses RPM."

Answer: "I run Slackware.  It's Linux, I assure you."

I didn't get the job.

But interestingly enough, when I interviewed at Red Hat and got the
"what Linux distro do you use" question, everyone's response was "cool,
I used to use Slackware too!"

--Max