[Fwd: Fedora & openSUSE meeting / cooperation ?]

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Tue Feb 6 19:23:25 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> - RHEL/CentOS -> seven years of support, only important updates, new
> stuff if you want round about all 18 months
> - Fedora, stable updates channel -> only important updates, get new
> stuff once a year (if you skip a release) or all six months (if you want)
> - Fedora, bold updates channel -> get most new stuff all the time, test
> stuff out before it hits the stable updates channel while getting the
> really new stuff all six months
> - Fedora, development -> get new stuff constantly

I want to be pretty careful here to say that I think that's a good idea,
but I'm not sure if it's going to work well.  Legacy was trying to do
parts of this, right?  The problem was that it didn't get a lot of
attention.  Debian stable is supposed to do this as well but I don't
know anyone that actually runs debian stable.

Stable updates are something that most programmers/community find, well,
boring.  And it's hard to build a community around that.

Once again, I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, it's just hard.  So
I'll redirect the question a bit and ask: what's the incentive to get
people to care about a stable updates channel vs. what we do today?

--Chris