Re: [Fwd: Fedora & openSUSE meeting / cooperation ?]

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
- RHEL/CentOS -> seven years of support, only important updates, new
stuff if you want round about all 18 months
- Fedora, stable updates channel -> only important updates, get new
stuff once a year (if you skip a release) or all six months (if you want)
- Fedora, bold updates channel -> get most new stuff all the time, test
stuff out before it hits the stable updates channel while getting the
really new stuff all six months
- Fedora, development -> get new stuff constantly

I want to be pretty careful here to say that I think that's a good idea, but I'm not sure if it's going to work well. Legacy was trying to do parts of this, right? The problem was that it didn't get a lot of attention. Debian stable is supposed to do this as well but I don't know anyone that actually runs debian stable.

Stable updates are something that most programmers/community find, well, boring. And it's hard to build a community around that.

Once again, I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, it's just hard. So I'll redirect the question a bit and ask: what's the incentive to get people to care about a stable updates channel vs. what we do today?

--Chris