Extending FC5 lifecycle?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:49:15 UTC 2007

[...snip...]
> Jesse Keating, do you want
> to mention Fedora Legacy in this?

Just to bring out a quick discussion Rahul and I were having on IRC, I'm
not sure we want to include that in this particular announcement.
Although the subject matter is a good fit, right now we don't have the
infrastructure in place to support a resurgence of Legacy.  (Let's leave
aside the issue of whether anyone actually wants to *do the work*.)

Rahul and I are in agreement, I think, that with the merge and other
related work currently being done feverishly by the release team, it
might be easier for contributors to do this work and *not* be separate
from the rest of the project.  But IMHO if we raise that issue now, the
current state of affairs becomes a blocker issue, and that just means
more unnecessary pressure on the release team.

Since this issue probably has legs -- meaning that *someone* is going to
raise it again, as they do every release -- I think we're safe leaving
it out for now, and we can put it on the table after the SCM and other
infrastructure consolidation is ready.  Then it just becomes a matter of
turning the idea momentum into action.  If contributors want it and are
really going to do the work, they will be able to transition immediately
into planning and execution, instead of "waiting on 'X' to be finished."