why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Jan 3 18:03:39 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 12:31:23PM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
>
>  > Kernel, and for slightly different reasons GNOME, are likely
>  > exceptions to the rule. (In fact, Ubuntu explicitly exempts both from
>  > their no-new-upstream freeze.) Both have extremely active upstream
>  > development which includes pretty good QA processes. (Kernel more
>  > upstream development and less QA, GNOME less upstream development and
>  > better organized QA.) I'm sure there are some other exceptions, and
>  > the bar for making new exceptions can be lowered if Fedora has its own
>  > pre-release QA mechanism like the testing channel I mentioned.
>
> The question then becomes where do you draw the line?
> 'Gnome' covers a pretty large package set, and I'll wager that
> 'gnome + kernel' probably covers the majority of the bugs that get filed.

FWIW, Ubuntu's line around GNOME is 'core GNOME release set', which is
the only thing GNOME makes a serious attempt to QA. But no, I don't
have a great answer to your broader line-drawing question- I can only
say that I'm pretty sure that it is more narrow than Fedora is
currently drawing it, and Ubuntu's line appears to have worked pretty
well for them.

Luis