Target market?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Jul 24 03:00:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 22:37 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> > So let's decide, then. Let's put the set of things we could be focused
> > on up. If we have 10 things we can focus on then we have 5 points to
> > delegate to each. We count them all up - the top 5 things are ALL we do
> > for F9 and F10.
>
> I'd suggest there are two different levels here:
> * what target market/vision does fedora have? these are big, permanent
> things, not things that can be 'done' in any given release.

that's the set of things we have to choose from. something like:
- desktop
- online-service-interface
- server
- portable-devices
- choose-your-own-adventure

once you select which of those you want then it breaks down with
- desktop
   - updating/installation tool - pkg based
   - user peripheral interfaces
   - specialized user hardware
   - network setup
   - ...
- portable-devices
  - archs
  - memory size
  - required features
  - optional features
  - plugin infrastructure
  - update mechanism  - image based
  - ...

so we have to choose a couple of things we want to focus on (maybe even
one) and then break down the things to go from there.

-sv