Mailing list reorganization summer 07, round 1

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Mon Jul 16 20:33:40 UTC 2007

> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> Ah, chance to clear up one of my pet peeves.
>

> > And have these in the end:
> >
> >  * fedora-devel-users
> >
> >  * fedora-pkgs-commits
>
> fedora-cvs-commits is better or make it fedora-packages-commits.
> packages makes it more clear and we are likely to be moving off cvs to a
> distribute SCM.

I don't see why fedora-packages-commits is better than
fedora-pkgs-commits, but whatever.  As long as it's not
fedora-$(SCM_OF_THE_DAY)-commits.

> >  * fedora-fesco
>
> Are we going to move to open archives? Atleast the board members should
> have access to it. Previously this was extras specific but not anymore.

I think this whole list can just die.  If things really need to be
discussed in private (which most don't), an email alias similar to
rel-eng can be set up.

> > There was the idea to rename fedora-advisory-list to fedora-project
> > list. But fedora-advisory-list works well, so maybe it's better to not
> > touch it... Should we nevertheless create a fedora-project list as
> > discussion list for Fedora-wide things where different groups
> > (packagers, art, docs, EPEL, ...) can share informations -- we don't
> > have such a place currently and some people seem to miss it
>
> There is really no specific advisory board group anymore. This list is
> open to all so a name change might be better and fedora-project list
> sounds good. Do we need a fedora-ramblings list for random rants and news?

fedora-project is entirely too ambiguous as to what should be discussed
there.  "Project" is the most overloaded term we have in Fedora today.

I think the current name is just fine, but if you must rename it call it
fedora-advisory.

> * reject HTML mail automatically with instructions on a wiki page to
> enable text messages on their mail clients.

I think that should be avoided for fedora-list.  We don't want to punish
newbies with our plain-text elitism, nor can we possibly provide
instructions on how to do plain text for every email client out there.

josh