Mailing list reorganization summer 07, round 1

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jul 17 14:14:46 UTC 2007

On 16.07.2007 22:33, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 01:32 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>>  * fedora-pkgs-commits
>> fedora-cvs-commits is better or make it fedora-packages-commits.
>> packages makes it more clear and we are likely to be moving off cvs to a
>> distribute SCM.
>
> I don't see why fedora-packages-commits is better than
> fedora-pkgs-commits, but whatever.

+1

But we need do choose one. I choose pkgs-commits because pkgs is what we
use in CVS as well -- that made most sense to me.

>  As long as it's not fedora-$(SCM_OF_THE_DAY)-commits.

+1

>>>  * fedora-fesco
>> Are we going to move to open archives? Atleast the board members should
>> have access to it. Previously this was extras specific but not anymore.
> I think this whole list can just die.

That's up for (the new) FESCo do decide. But I tend to agree, as a list
accidentally leads to private discussions (seen to often in the past
IMHO -- just two or three month ago FESCo voted on a proposal from
notting that accidentally got discussed on the private list only
beforehand).

>  If things really need to be
> discussed in private (which most don't), an email alias similar to
> rel-eng can be set up.

Then there are no archives -- that has benefits (new FESCO members can't
look up what the earlier ones said about them in the past) and
disadvantages ("Who said what when").

>[...]
>> * reject HTML mail automatically with instructions on a wiki page to
>> enable text messages on their mail clients.
> I think that should be avoided for fedora-list.  We don't want to punish
> newbies with our plain-text elitism, nor can we possibly provide
> instructions on how to do plain text for every email client out there.

+1

CU
thl